Paul's Photography Reading List
I know: the best way to learn how to make good photographs is to
take lots of pictures. This is true. But, reading texts and studying
others work can be enormously helpful. Once you get past nailing your
exposures, the next step is composing good images. Here's a small list
of the most helpful books I have read over the past decade or so. Note:
Many of these books are out of print, but they can be found at local
libraries or used on Amazon for cheap (that's why I include them). Many
have modern in print revised editions which are also listed.
- Magazines I subscribe to: Popular Photography and Imaging,
Shutterbug, Outdoor Photographer, Digital Photo Pro,
Professional Photographer, News Photographer, and Nikon World.
- Katrin Eismann and Sean Duggan, "Creative Digital Darkroom",
O'Reilly, 2008. (Good basic introduction to darkroom techniques).
- Martin Evening, "Photoshop for Photographers", Focal Press
(various editions for each version of Photoshop, very useful).
Andreas Feininger, "Principles of Composition in Photography", Thames
and Hudson (London), 1973.
- Lee Frost, "The A-Z of Creative Photography: Over 70 Techniques
Explained in Full", Watson-Guptill Publications (September 1, 1998).
- Tom Grill & Mark Scanlon "Photographic Composition. Guidelines
for Total Image Control Trough Effective Design", AMPHOTO, 1983.
In-print education: Watson-Guptill Publications; Reprint edition (June
- Scott Kelby, "Photoshop for Digital Photographers", New Riders
Press (various editions, including a new book on Lightroom). Kelby's an
excellent resource for basic digital imaging skills.
- Freeman Patterson, "Photography & the Art of Seeing", Key Porter
Books, 1985 and 1989.
- Freeman Patterson, "Photographing the World Around You", Key
Porter Books, 1994. Newer edition (with updates for digital photography):
Key Porter Books; 2nd edition (September 1, 2004).
- Bryan Peterson, "Learning to See Creatively", AMPHOTO, 1989;
updated edition 2003.
- Bryan Peterson, "Understanding Exposure", AMPHOTO, 1990. Newer
edition (with updates for digital photography): Amphoto Books; Revised
edition (August 1, 2004).
- Henry R. Poore, "Composition in Art", Sterling Publishing, 1969.
- Any National Geographic, Sports Illustrated, Amphoto, or Kodak Field Guide (buy used
just for inspiration on composition).